Thursday, October 14, 2010

The simple joys of being a teacher.


I am in the midst of marking Physics Trial SPM exam scripts. For some mysterious reasons, Physics has papers has been held only on the last 2 days of the Trial exam for two years running! Immediately after the exam was over, I was called out of school for 2 days of meetings and will be out for another 3 days of meetings next week. And the due date for the marks is next week! Help!
Every single teacher knows well the agony and labour involved in marking exam scripts and especially in this sort of situation when we have to complete marking scripts so very quickly!
But I have great reason for joy! 5 Dynamic 2010 has given me reason to sing!!! You see one student has given me a perfect score for her essay script 20/20!! Oh Wow! And another student who used to get miserly scores for her essay has now scored 15/20!!! I shall not mention names here but tomorrow when I give back Paper 2 to 5 Dynamic, they shall know of my joy and pride in them! Oh, it is so worthwhile to teach 5 Dynamic 2010! Also several students in 5 Dynamic achieved more than 40/50 for Paper 1.
This brings home a succinct truth for Physics! The underdog shall not remain forever the underdog! If the underdog is willing to learn from his/her mistakes, be willing to focus, be willing to change the style of learning, the underdog can literally fly! Hence my picture of flying dogs! Of course sometimes in the process of learning to fly, we suffer bruises and some painful cuts in strategic places like some of the flying dogs in this picture but don't ever let that stop you from attempting to fly!
Haha! the joys of being a teacher! Discovering and knowing for a certainity that underdogs can fly! I recieved a plaque gift from a beloved teacher. I immediately nailed that plaque on my office door because I believed in it. It said "Children are born with wings but teachers help them fly!"

4 comments:

  1. Hi but need to double check which margaret - the klang margaret or margaret liew?

    ReplyDelete
  2. errr .... how about sharing with us how you did it?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie, I have the pleasure of having dinner with your perfect 20/20 scorer tonight! :-)

    ReplyDelete